History of Legal Medicine, personalities with remarkable contributions to the development of Legal Medicine:
Mina Minovici: he published the first Romanian Complete Treaty of Legal Medicine, in 2 volumes, (1928-1930). His favourite maxim - "Medicina dux, auxiliumque justitiae" - was placed at the entrance of the first Romanian Medico-legal Institute in Bucharest.
Nicolae Minovici (self-hanging experiments with duration of 6 to 25 seconds and describing of the simptoms that precead death in these circumstances)
Affiliation of Legal Medicine: Ministery of Health. 6 Institutes (with educational and research activity in addition to current services), 36 County Services, 11 local offices
No. of forensic pathologists: 238 ( from which 51 have also university career)
Specialization: Legal Medicine is an independent speciality, with a postgraduate education of 4 years
Activity: trauma severity evaluation in alive persons, forensic autopsies, forensic psychiatry, labour capacity, insurance medicine, paternity tests, BAC analysis, forensic toxicology.
University Legal Medicine education: Medicine - compulsory 28 hours lectures and 28 hours practical activities
INSTITUTES OF LEGAL MEDICINE IN ROMANIA:
- National Institute of Legal Medicine Bucharest, sos. Vitan-Birzesti nr. 9, 042122 Bucuresti, tel. +4021-3321217, website: www.legmed.ro
- Institute of Legal Medicine Iasi, str. Buna Vestire nr. 4, cod 700455, Iasi, tel. +402322261617
- Institute of Legal Medicine Timisoara
- Institute of Legal Medicine Cluj
- Institute of Legal Medicine Tirgu Mures, str. Gheorghe Marinescu nr. 38, 540142 Tirgu Mures, tel/fax: +40265-215240
- Institute of Legal Medicine Craiova, str. Vasile Alecsandri nr. 20, tel. +40251410674